Sunday, February 25, 2007

Random shoes #6

My Chuck Taylor® All-Star® shoes (Royal, Hi, Canvas).

distant

I've had these shoes for years and years, at least since grad school. As is increasingly well-documented, I have a hard time finding shoes that fit me correctly. It's particularly difficult because I have a demyelinating peripheral polyneuropathy, most likely Charcot-Marie-Tooth.

slightly closer

I have a really really mild case, but I was given arch supports by a doctor years ago that help relieve some of the numbness that I sometimes suffer when I've been on my feet for a long time. Unfortunately, high-arch + arch supports + small feet = no shoes that actually fit.

side

So, a few years ago I decided that the solution was a pair of Chuck Taylor® All-Star® shoes. Why?

  1. High tops. Hightop shoes were not popular a few years back and it was really hard to find them in stores. But shoes that extend higher help support my ankles and also help keep the shoes on my feet.
  2. Canvas. Most sneakers - at that point, anyway, and where I was shopping and in my price range - don't have a lot of give. My hope was that the canvas was thin enough to stretch and mold better to my feet.


Laces

At the time - again, I was in school and didn't own a car and didn't have a lot of access to malls and shoe stores and such - I could't find a pair anywhere. I tracked them down online and had to guess at the size.

Chuck Taylor All Star sole

I managed to pick a good size, though, because my supports fit and this is probably the only pair of shoes I've ever owned that I can wear comfortably with those supports. At this point they are pretty worn and I don't wear them a lot, but they're still great shoes.

toe

0 comments:

Post a Comment