Monday, June 25, 2007

Quiet, lately

It has been very hard for me to blog lately, and I'm not entirely sure why.

There are some things I don't want to or feel appropriate talking about here: work, private lives of friends, my inappropriate obsession with Doctor Who. And those things have taken up a huge amount of my energy in the past month. It's hard to find other things to write about, so I end up going on and on about my new apartment, even though my excitement is rapidly turning into denial at all the work I still need to do to prepare.

On the personal front, I've also avoided talking about my good friend Rob, who's moving to the other side of the country next week. I've been working very very hard to let the truth just sit there, without letting myself think about the reality of it very much. If I'm going to be upset, I want to wait until he's already gone and deal with it then.

Rob was the first real friend I made completely independently after moving to Raleigh. I knew people - TinaB I've known for more than a decade, and the first people I got to know here were either her friends or people I met with her (i.e. a certain neighbor). Rob had no connection at all to Tina, and that made him kind of unique for me at that time.

When I started working for the company that currently employs me, I was working the late shift (5pm - 1am). Rob was working for a sister publication in the same building, and also worked nights. He was friends with another editor, whose shift changed when I started working. So one night, Rob wonders into the office and asks where the other editor is. I told him his new shift and said that I was now working nights. "Oh," he replied. "I guess that means you'll have to be my friend now."

And thus our friendship was born.

When our office moved the first time, we left Rob behind in the old building. It wasn't very long, however, before he came back to our newsroom.

I used to refer to Rob as my platonic boyfriend, and for a brief time we hung out together way too often. We managed to find a way to give each other better breathing room, but he's still one of my closest friends. I'm sure I'll miss him very much.

But I'm not allowed to think about that until he's gone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment