Saturday, June 30, 2007

Remembering the forum

Once upon a time, I was in grad school and burned out and needed a way to distract myself from the fact that I was making no progress at all on my thesis. I was looking to see if I could find "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" text game online somewhere (this was probaby 1997 or so), and came across a new game instead, "Starship Titanic". I think I've told this story before.

Amidst the assorted game-related stuff online, there was a message board for "employees". I posted, I got addicted, I wasted a lot of time. I left school and had to work for a living and didn't have so much time and energy to waste anymore.

But every so often, I get the urge to go back and see what's up there. The most startling thing is how many user names I recognize from so many years ago now. The employee forum was where the name "Koenig" originated for me, and it's stuck ever since (I was Koenig (at Lamar), a two-headed, three-armed being often trapped in her office - named after an intersection near where I was living in Texas).

Tonight I was in one of those moods and went back. I'm not going to post though - maybe if I have the urge to read for a while, I will later. But it's strange to remember all the many many imaginary adventures we had.

0 Comments: