Saturday, January 19, 2008

Persuasion on "Masterpiece"

They changed "Masterpiece Theater" to just "Masterpiece," which - whatever, I think it's kind of a stupid name, but not enough to harp on about. What I do harp on about is the fact that because they changed the name, my Tivo didn't realize it was the same show and didn't record!

However, PBS being what it is, the first of their "Complete Jane Austin" series was repeated last night, and I recorded Persuasion. Unfortunately, I was not impressed with this adaptation.

The thing is, they just adapted this book, in ... well, OK, in 1995, but they are totally showing the Pride and Prejudice miniseries from the same year, so whatever. And the 1995 version, with Amanda Root and CiarĂ¡n Hinds, is simply lovely - lovely. It's quiet and calm and sad, full of meaningful looks. Amanda Root's Anne is washed out and put-upon at the beginning, and you can see her bloom. You can see her underlying sadness and strength and kindness, and how the people who aren't as shallow as her immediate family love her and trust her completely.

I was not impressed with the Anne in the 2008 version; and her running to-and-fro at the end? Ech. It was all too over-the-top, across the board. I didn't like the Musgrove sisters, didn't like Charles Musgrove, didn't like the Admiral and Mrs. Croft. Everyone was trying too hard.

Far inferior to the earlier version.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:20 PM

    I agree.... Totally blech. I felt like I was reading a trashy romance novel. There was nothing and no one to invest in.

    ReplyDelete