Sunday, October 05, 2008

"Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist"

Previews: The Haunting of Molly Hartley, Role Models, Confessions of a Shopaholic, The Uninvited, Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Really schizophrenic group of trailers - 2 teen horror flicks (the first apparently entirely populated by actors from the CW's teen shows), 2 broad comedies, and one I can't remember as I'm typing this - oh "Confessions of a Shopaholic," which holds no appeal at all.

But on to the show!

I was very hesitant to go see this movie, to be honest. Part of the problem is that I really like Michael Cera, and I'm getting really really tired of seeing him play a slight variation on the same character in every movie. He can do comedy well - I'm not asking him to be a serial killer next time. But I've had about enough of the "emo-punk-band boy" stuff (to, you know, quote the movie).

Which leads me to the movie itself, in which he plays exactly that same character.

The movie is fine. It was cute in parts and disgusting in others. It's all about this guy and this girl who are clearly meant to be together, and the night they travel around New York City finding out who they are.

Nora, played by Kat Dennings, was infinitely (heh) more interesting to me, maybe just because I haven't seen her in a lot else, or maybe because in the movie she reminded me a little bit of a very good friend of mine I met in college (i.e. a cool Jewish girl with attitude and awesome hair). I liked the character's interesting combination of confidence and insecurity, whether it be with guys or her friends or her future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment