Sunday, October 12, 2008

Reading

Now that I'm officially laid off, I'm hoping to take up some of my time catching up on all the books that I've either been too distracted or too busy to read. And I'm sure I'll add some new ones.

First is job-related. I picked up a book on search engine optimization, a subject on which I know some, but not enough. So I'll make my way through this, and I can add it to my resume, and when potential employers ask me what I've done with my time, I have a good answer to give them.

Next is "Dead Until Dark," the first of the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. It's the series they made into True Blood on HBO, which I'm also watching. It's odd - I generally try to avoid TV show spoilers, but when it comes to reading the books on which something was based, I'm almost always unable to stop myself. I did the same with the books the Showtime series Dexter is based on.

I finally finished "The Watchmen" graphic novel last week. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting; I liked it, but didn't love it. I wonder if it's like watching "Citizen Kane" - so many later stories have borrowed from it that it's hard to experience the original without the later stories coloring your perceptions.

Still on the block: "The Terror," which I was enjoying but set down one night and haven't picked back up; "The Twisted Sword" - the next-to-last book in the Poldark series, which is great but so involved and detailed that it can be a little overwhelming sometimes; and "Who By Fire," which I got from a coworker when we cleared out the newsroom a few weeks ago.

Plus, I really want my book club to do vampire novels for the next few months (or however long we continue to meet). Maybe we start with the Stackhouse books, or maybe with "Interview With The Vampire," which I've never read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment