Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas baking

I was just reading another blog entry via Google reader about Christmas baking, and it made me really, really wish I could make a huge batch of different cookies for the holidays. However:
  1. I have no job, so I have no place to take all the leftovers;
  2. I have no money to buy tons of ingredients;
  3. and pretty much everyone I know is on a diet or otherwise watching what they eat, and might not welcome tons of buttery, sugary cookies.
I did make fruitcake, using a vegan recipe so I could send it guilt-free to my brother and his wife. I made a non-vegan version for myself, and it was full of dried fruit (instead of candied) including various amounts of apricots, raisins, apples, peaches, plums, cherries, dates, cranberries and blueberries. I thought it was average at first, but after a day or two, the flavors started melding together a little better and it was quite good; I'll hang on to this recipe, and maybe use more rum next time.

And when I was in this baking mood last week, I also made ginger cream cookies, pretty much just because I wanted to bake and I had all the right ingredients (including molasses). I also tried to make a version of English toffee, but things didn't work out and it got tossed.

This morning I see a recipe for cranberry rugelach. And I really want to make it. But ... gah. I could take some home with me this weekend, I guess, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

I just want to bake and bake and bake!! Maybe next year I'll send out packages of baked goods to my friends who have scattered across the country. Sigh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment