Monday, January 12, 2009

"The Reader"

Previews: Gran Torino, Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler, I've Loved You So Long, Waltz With Bashir

I liked this movie. Given the subject matter (the Holocaust, among others), it was surprisingly sweet, in parts. Also very sad, and moving. All about forgiveness and secrets and shame and control. My opinion of Hannah's relationship with Michael changed from the beginning to the end, but the more I think about it, the more I don't want to simplify it. Hannah isn't one thing - yes her affair with Michael is about recapturing a more carefree youth, but it's also about having control over their relationship. I might want to forgive some of Hannah's past when we find out her secret, but that secret doesn't make her any less guilty of the things she did.

Sad, and complicated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment