Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ouch

Despite all my second-guessing yesterday, I am ultimately glad I went to the urgent care center to get my broken toe officially diagnosed. Sure, they just wrapped it up with the toe next to it, and I (stupidly) refused the hard-soled shoe they offered me, and I haven't filled the prescription for pain medication. But I woke up twice last night - at 1am and again about an hour later - in searing pain. The best description I can come up with is that it felt like someone took a pair of garden shears, heated them to glowing hot, and sliced off my toes. I don't know if I rolled over on it or what.

I spent at least 10 - 15 minutes each time cradling my foot gently, rubbing the non-broken toes to reassure myself that the pain was radiating out from the broken one. I put some ice in a plastic baggy and wrapped it around the broken toe, which numbed it enough to let me get back to sleep (twice).

This morning it hurts far less, but if I hadn't gone to get the x-ray yesterday, I would have been freaking out. Today I will go get the prescription filled, and hopefully sleep through the night again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment