Saturday, June 06, 2009

Baking

Bread is one of those foods that I always want to make, but which never quite works out the way I think it should. The problem, I know, is that I'm an impatient cook. I cook everything too hot and too fast, and if I'm trying to make bread, I don't want to wait for dough to rise or knead it as long as I should.

Despite knowing that this is one of my biggest faults, I still don't do "no-knead" bread very often.

However, one of the food blogs I follow, How to Eat a Cupcake, did a no-knead boule from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" last week, and I thought I'd give it a shot.

My first loaf was better than I thought it would be, given that I didn't refrigerate it at all - it looked a little odd, but tasted OK. I made the second loaf the next day, and it was better, but still not exactly right. I think I know what I did wrong, though, so I'll try again in the future.

I'm almost always willing to follow a link that one of the blogs I read recommends, so I went to the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day website. Very awesome - makes me want to bake bread every day! Which would not be good for my diet.

However, I am trying the Lemon-Poppyseed Mini-Brioches. I halved the recipe, and made the dough yesterday, putting it in the fridge overnight. I only have one decent muffin tin, so it'll be an all-day project, I think ... or possibly all weekend.

Right now, the first round of dough is resting in the muffin tin (although I look at the photo on the website now, and I don't think I used enough dough. Well, there's always the next round ...)

Photos to come when the camera's batteries recharge ...

3 comments:

  1. Baking bread is the BEST smell. I think I could live on baked goods; Though I would look like a dough ball if I did !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lemon brioche smelled amazing. Needs more lemon next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had same result with lemon muffins, even with the zest and extract. I guess I'm looking for that lemon "pop".

    ReplyDelete