Sunday, June 14, 2009

Weekend project #2 - The toy box

Where is project #1 you ask? It's not finished yet. So that's really more "week-long project #1," but it'll get finished eventually.

This is the toy box that my siblings and I shared when I was growing up. It was a varnished wood, with a little picture of a circus painted on the front, if I'm remembering correctly, and fake black leather cover on the lid. When I moved out, I painted it and put new fabric on the lid and took it with me. It has looked like this for about 10 years:


And here's a close-up of the fabric on the lid:


At that point, I was very into this kind of floral fabrics and stencils. Still cute, but my taste has changed a bit.

Here's the trunk now:


It's hard to tell, but I repainted the entire trunk to a ecru with a tiny bit of greenish-yellow. It looks pretty much the same as before, but the color looked much yellower in the store.

And a close-up on the lid:


It's gold with brown and greenish stripes. Really goes with the green/gold colors in my living room, and especially with the curtains behind it. Not so much with the rug, but I'll live with that for now.

Love it!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:29 PM

    Very pretty and sophisticated. Great job. Love ya'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I didn't know you even had that toybox still! Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've kept it. It currently fits perfectly under the window in my living room. I'm waiting for the cat to get his claws caught in the fabric ...

    ReplyDelete