Sunday, August 30, 2009

"Taking Woodstock"

Previews: It's Complicated, Capitalism: A Love Story, Whip It, A Serious Man, The Informant!, 9

I don't feel like I have much to say about "Taking Woodstock." I went to see it on impulse on Saturday; I've always liked director Ang Lee, and was in the mood for a movie that did not involve people getting killed. I have no big imagined nostalgia for Woodstock, which was 5 years before I was born, and no particular interest in the music. But I do like a good period piece, whether it be set 200 years ago or just 40.

I've always been a bit ambivalent about Demetri Martin - I've never been able to get into his style of comedy, never cared about watching his show on Comedy Central. He was good, though. Which is kind of how I felt about the whole movie - it was good, not great. It fit what I was in the mood for.

1 comment:

  1. I saw Taking Woodstock in Woodstock with Ang Lee, James Shamus and Michael Lang in the audience. It’s a small movie from the single perspective of Elliot Tiber, a minor player in the saga of Woodstock. It’s worth seeing but don’t expect an Oscar nom.

    Win a Woodstock special limited edition white Stratocaster guitar (like Jimi Hendrix played at Woodstock…only 40 made by Fender) and Collector's Edition Woodstock DVD and listen to RADIO WOODSTOCK 69 which features only music from the original Woodstock era (1967-1971) and RADIO WOODSTOCK with music from the original Woodstock era to today’s artists who reflect the spirit of Woodstock.

    Only 3 days left to enter…Go to woodstockuniverse dot com for details.

    Peace, love, music,
    RFWoodstock
    rfwoodstock@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete