Monday, December 07, 2009

Weight stream of consciousness

My scale is unreliable, but I've lost roughly 35 pounds since March. I try not to talk about it too much; it feels like bragging even when it's not. It's weird - I'm happy to have lost the weight, but I have mixed feelings about the process. It was easy and that's such a strange thing to say. I'm sure it didn't feel that easy in March, and the one thing it was not was fast, but ... once I got into the habit of (a) measuring what I eat and knowing the average calorie counts of many foods and (b) limiting my portion sizes, it wasn't very hard. I haven't been careful for several weeks now, and I think I've lost another pound. I don't pig out on anything, but I don't deny myself any food I want to eat. I'm rarely hungry at the end of the day. But it feels weird - I know that not everyone loses weight the same way and that not every diet works for everyone, but I want to ask what took me so long. Depression, boredom, laziness ... probably a dozen other reasons. And I want to tell everyone to just eat less, which I know is (1) rude and (2) not helpful. Of course, now I can't stop talking about losing weight because none of my clothes fit anymore. This is not true. What is true, however, is that most of my skirts and all of my dress pants are too big ... big to the point where I can literally pull one pair of pants off without unbuttoning them. I've had to buy new jeans twice now, and while I generally love shopping, I don't have the money to buy a new wardrobe every 3 months. Mind you, I did buy a sexy cocktail dress last week that I have no place to wear. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll figure out where to wear it before it stops fitting. I got yet another dress for Christmas which is more appropriate - and I have shoes to match with! But back to the topic at hand. I think my resolution for next year will be to exercise more. The weight loss is good, but fitness is probably better.

3 comments:

  1. If you don't remember, I do. No, it didn't feel easy in March. Glad it does now. Also congrats, I'm so happy for you. Oh, and this is your blog so you can (1) say what you want and (2) brag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:42 PM

    Good for you - I'm very proud! And, so glad that you did not wait until my age to do this. It was hard for me, but I completely understand your feelings. The only drawback I have encountered is the distancing of some former "friends" and I sometimes get tired of people asking me if I have been sick. Exercise is excellent, but above all, good health is the ultimate goal. Love ya'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:18 AM

    Rob is right - you earned the right to brag. Now go put on that sexy cocktail dress!

    ReplyDelete