Friday, July 09, 2010

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"

I watched the Swedish movie adaptation tonight. When I read the book last August, I wrote:
Good book, interesting mystery. Interested to read the next book. Continues the depressing trend.
I'm a little surprised that I didn't write more; well, no, I'm not - I often think that I'm going to write a lot about what I read or watch, then when faced with the task, just don't do it. But I've been thinking about the book lately, and wondering why it's as popular as it is.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of a good mystery, and I've read/seen my share of serial killer stories. I'm just not sure what makes this one so popular. The answer, I guess, is the character of Lisbeth - the story, after all, while interesting and complex, really isn't that different or unique. Her character is very complicated, however, very full and multi-dimensional. Her story is hard to watch - more so in the movie, because it's right there in your face - in fact, the stories of both the main female characters are terrible and violent. I appreciate, however, that neither woman is a victim. Or rather that each takes action against her abuser and tries to put herself in a position to never have to face such horrors again.

The real translation of the title, I just found out, is "The Man Who Hated Women" - which is quite appropriate. I like the change, however; it puts the focus on Lisbeth rather than the killer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment