Saturday, January 08, 2011

Flashback!

A long time ago, I was very actively involved in an online community. This was mostly from about 1997 - 8, when I was in graduate school. I was regularly looking for ways to procrastinate as I slowly moved toward dropping out, and getting completely and utterly caught up in this world was a good way to do that.

In addition, what the particular community was fed strongly into my interests at the time. I was studying communications and new media, trying to figure out how to make a living doing stuff with the Internet and wondering if that would be enough to get me over the growing realization that I had neither the patience nor the discipline to be a fiction writer. This community was a form of group fiction, of sorts; a bunch of random people from around the world who shared an interest in Douglas Adams and/or The Starship Titanic invented characters and plots and created many, many stories together, with each message feeding off of those before. It was very fun and very exhausting, and ultimately, I just didn't have time for it anymore.

I've told this story before.

This morning, I got an email from someone who was involved in the creation of this forum. I had written to the company that created the forum for the game, expressing how much I enjoyed it and my love of the interactive storytelling creation that it became. This was a long time ago, as I said, and I don't remember the details of the email. I think I probably got a reply thanking me for my message, but again -- I don't really remember. Apparently, the email stuck with him, and when the topic of the Starship Titanic Employee Forum came up again recently, he found the message again. More than a decade later, he still had it.

Which just floors me.

He said he might pass the original email on to someone who might be writing an article, and very kindly wanted to check with me first. I was happy to agree. Who knows if anything at all will come of that, but it's just kind of crazy to think about.

If nothing else, the whole experience has been a good excuse to remember the employee forum experience and everything it included. And I just found out that my main character is listed on the H2G2 page (at the end of the passenger list, although I'd argue I originally started out as crew (hence the office)).

This MetaFilter post about the Starship Titanic was apparently the origination of the email I got today, if you're interested.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:28 PM

    Totally cool - you never can tell what people will remember about you!

    ReplyDelete