Sunday, January 05, 2014

CWE: "Brazil" (The Final Cut - 1985)

Summary: In an odd, dystopian, authoritarian future, a government worker falls in love with his dream woman, who he meets while trying to correct a bureaucratic error.
  • My brother, his wife and I have a tradition of watching an inappropriate movie at Christmas (or whenever I see them). This was this year's pick -- but, of course, I brought the wrong disc. Going to be odd watching this again, in the version I meant to bring.
  • I find it interesting that one of the most effective and interesting -- to me anyway -- ways to do a movie set in the undefined future (although, technically this one is set somewhere in the 20th century) is to give it a retro look.
  • What has Kim Greist been in besides this? IMDB tells me mostly TV work (two series regulars, a bunch of guest roles) and nothing in the past 10+ years.
  • This is a really beautiful print of the movie. It's very clean and bright.
  • Sam's whole dream flying outfit is very odd.
  • Oh, the guy who arrests Buttle is Simon Jones, who did the voice of Arthur Dent in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio and TV series.
  • Simon Jones was on Oz??? What? And, apparently, more than one US soap opera.
  • Sam has a very metaphorical fantasy life.
  • Information Retrieval is so very quiet.
  • Oh, I have not so much exciting to say about this movie.
  • I do wonder what happens to Jill. I have to assume that she dies.
  • Oh, there she is. I forgot that they haven't had sex yet. Oh, wait, that doesn't happen yet either. Hmm...
  •  I cannot remember which parts of this movie are in his mind and which are real. Which, I guess, is part of the point.
  • OK, now she's probably dead.
  • I'm deep into the section that's complete different from the TV version ... and yeah, this is much better.
  • I really regret that I brought the wrong version home over Christmas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment