Sunday, February 23, 2014

CWE: "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975)

Skipped:  "Doctor Who" - all the modern series.

Summary: Three first-time crooks attempt to rob a bank in Brooklyn. The plan immediately goes wrong.
  • Oy. 1975. Everyone is *so* young. Is this the oldest movie that I own? No, actually, now that I think about it -- there's a couple from the 1960s coming up (eventually). And, of course, "Bridge on the River Kwai" was 1957 (duh).
  • Who robs a bank with no masks on? I mean, there are no video cameras, sure, but people will still recognize their faces.
  • Wow, this goes wrong like, seconds after it starts.
  • "Take the subway -- we need the car!"
  • Carol Kane. :)
  • Oh, wait -- there are cameras.
  • Heh, asking Sonny to watch his language.
  • It's amazing. Pretty much everything that could go wrong does go wrong. One of the robbers freaks out and leaves just as the robbery is beginning. There's hardly any money in the bank. The fire Sonny lights gets the attention of people outside. The cops are there almost immediately.
  • "Did you have a plan or what?"
  • "He said he wants to know what time you'll be through."
  • Those are some '70s pants on that cop. Most of the clothes aren't that dated, really, but the blue plaid pants...
  • Oh, god, I just spotted Lance Hendrickson. Such a baby!
  • Sonny walking back and forth in front of the bank ... OK, I know that Sal's inside with the hostages, but I have a hard time believing that no one would shoot him.
  • "I'm robbing a bank because the got money here."
  • "I guess he didn't appreciate your use of language."
  • The scenes outside the bank are just crazy. They're just like, chatting on the street.
  • The contrast between the chattiness and the serious danger is amazing.
  • "I gotta pay for the food. Where's the marked $5s?"
  • And now there's chaos as Sonny throws money into the crowd.
  • LOL at the teller trying to twirl Sonny's rifle.
  • So, I can't remember if I knew before seeing this movie for the first time that Sonny's wife is a transexual and that part of the reason for the robbery is to pay for her surgery. I know that I knew before buying the movie. I think I probably knew that there were gay elements before watching it.
  • Chris Sarandon's hair is crazy.
  • While there's lots of sideways glances and dismissiveness when Leon arrives, the subject is treated with more respect than I would expect from a movie made in 1975.
  • What does the price of the wedding dress and bridesmades' gowns have to do with anything?
  • Sal is not happy that people think he's gay. Sonny really doesn't care.
  • "You're not dying. You're killing the people around you."
  • "I'm with a guy who don't know where Wyoming is. You think you got problems?"
  • And now it turns into a gay rights protest.
  • Sonny's mom refers to Leon as "her." Unexpected.
  • Sonny making his will is quite sweet.
  • Oh, we're approaching the end.
  • Really? They didn't block off the streets to prevent people from driving up to the bus?
  • Everything seems almost hopeful. If, you know, people getting away with a bank robbery is a good thing.
  • We don't get a lot of insight into Sal's reasons for being a part of this. His character is very slight compared to Sonny. Although, of course, John Cazale is very, very good.
  • I was very surprised by the shooting at the end the first time I saw this. And for some reason, I remembered more people dying. But I guess not.

0 comments:

Post a Comment