Saturday, March 22, 2014

CWE: "The Dwelling Place" (1994)

Summary: After their parents die, leaving them with nothing, a young woman (Cissie) takes her siblings to live in a cave. A local carpenter loves Cissie but won't marry her. Things get more complicated when Cissie is raped by the son of the local aristocratic family at his sister's urging.

Not sure that I have a lot to say about this one. I liked it the way that I like most Catherine Cookson stories, all of which are extremely problematic. Of course, in this one, Cissie ends up with Clive, the guy who rapes her which ... no, thank you. We get the excuse that he's not really such a terrible guy, that his sister pushed him into it and after leaving and becoming his own person, Clive is trying to make amends. But yeah, I can't say that I'm a big fan of any story that ends with the leave female character falling in love with her rapist.

Stumbled on this when looking up some plot points: http://glvalentine.livejournal.com/186766.html

Hee!

OK, I think I'm stopping at about the 1/2 point of part 2 ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment