Saturday, March 29, 2014

CWE: "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" (2004)

Summary: After Joel and Clementine break up, she has the memories of their relationship removed from his brain. So Joel decides to erase her too -- until he changes his mind.
  • I think this is the only Jim Carrey movie that I own. For reasons having to do with the fact that I'm not much of a fan.
  • However, speaking of Jim Carrey, I was reminded at trivia this week about the 1985 movie "Once Bitten," which I loved when I was much younger. I had no idea that he was in it. He's also in "Peggy Sue Got Married"? Crazy.
  • I very much like Charlie Kaufman's writing.
  • I'm far too easily distracted. Oh wait, I'm supposed to be watching a movie!
  • I love the way things bleed into each other in this movie. Doors open into different locations, dialogue skips and repeats, people and places appear where they should not, then disappear. Nothing happens chronologically.
  • The employees of Lacuna are painfully unprofessional.
  • Snow always seems so out of place on a beach.
  • I feel like this movie puts a lot of the blame for the relationship problems that Clem and Joel have on Joel -- but it's painfully clear that Clem's behavior is an issue. She's "impulsive," but it seriously looks like possibly bipolar disorder. She stays out all night, possibly cheats on him, and drives drunk, damaging his car. Joel might be overly cautious/too afraid of most things, but Clementine hurts him badly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment